Monday, March 31, 2014

I Need to Learn to Cook.

I knew that that was a fact, but it didn´t hit quite so hard until this week.  We had a lesson with Yoná and Claudio where we watched the movie about President Monson to get her all pumped for Conference next week.  (BTW, I am so dang stoked for that!)  Anyway, we made popcorn and everyone was all like, "Sister Dana!  Make carmel for the popcorn! "  And I was like  "Ok!"  and then I melted a spoon in the pan and was stupid enough to pour the hot carmel in the plastic bowl and it melted that too.  So maybe it isn´t the actual cooking that I need to improve, but just the logistics.  Who knows.  All I know is that I will need to improve my time here in Brazil!  Alma 34:32, yo.
Movie night with Yoná and Claudio!

Yoná is amazing.  She is really learning to turn to the Lord and she opened up to us in a major way this week.  Gosh, I am gaining a testimony about the reality of the enemy, because every time that she tried to read her scriptures of pray or something, he gave her this monster headache.  She goes, "I know that it is because I am doing what´s right, and I am learning more about God...he doesn´t like that, does he, Sister?"  Nope.  But she will get past this.  I have never seen anyone work harder to overcome personal demons.  Maybe my pal over in PA....but yeah, it is some serious stuff.  Please just keep Yoná in your prayers this week, ok?

In other news, I went on a division with Sister Butler this week!  My MTC companion!  Reunited and it feels so goooood...no, Gentile music.  Sorry.  Anyway, she is awesome and it was super fun to be able to actually teach with her! I thought of all of our lessons together in the MTC and how they were total train wrecks, and it just made me happy to be together again, one year later!  I love her and we had a blast.  She has grown a ton this year and is a really powerful missionary.  This is one of those friendships that I know will last after the mish!
Our Zone!

My one year mark was also this Thursday!  Weirrrrrd.  It was almost a mental breakdown day, because I was stressing if I met all the goalst that I made when I started out and such, but Sister Rodrigues, Sister Hicken, and Sister Fortes made it a super fun day!  I woke up and the house was all decorated with balloons and streamers and a sign that said happy one year and everything.  They also made a boyfriend for me out of a broomstick and a balloon so I wouldn´t be lonely...he´s pretty cute you know.  But they are just the best.  I did in fact burn a skirt, but not for a ceremony or anything, mostly because Leslie sent me these really cool matches and I like burning stuff and it was an ugly skirt.  Super fun though!  We finished up the day with milkshakes  and had a lot of great lessons and it just made me so happy to be a missionary!
Cheiro...it´s a Pernambuco thing.

I got to dance with my boyfriend on my mission birthday!

We are adorable.  He needs to gain some weight.

I love my sisters!!!!

1 Year!!!


One year kills me...


Another funny story.  So there is this lady that lives next door to us that is 86 and was baptized in December.  She is HILARIOUS and has the mind of a 30 year old.  We visited her on Saturday night and laughedddddd at all her stories!  Anyway, when we were leaving, we had to help her walk out to the door to lock up with us.  She had me on one arm and Sister Rodrigues on the others, and was shuffling along when all of a sudden, her pants hit the floor.  She just busted up laughing and I couldn´t hold it in--we did too!  She goes, "Ah, again!  Sister, could you grab those for me?"  with a lot of super funny stuff in Portuguese that I don´t know how to translate.  Ohhhh my life.  She is the best.

Anyway, so good to hear that Cooper is doing well in volleyball and that he has friends.  That was always a worry for me.  Jokes.  It ticks me off thought that he is tall.  Ah well.  Tell him to write me a dang letter!  Mom, be thankful for your callings.  They are the most important thing that you can ever do here on the earth.  So...idk.  When I go home, I am definitely going to be looking at church responsability a lot differently because now I know how absolutely necessary it is, and the difference that it makes in peoples´ lives.  Dad, I know that you are doing a great job as bispo.  Send my love to Brother Shumway.  It makes me really sad to hear that-- he was an AWESOME home teacher when I was growing up!

I love you all lots and thank you so much for your letters and prayers!  Have a good week!

Love,
Sister Dana
Making lunch at homeeee...

Out to lunch!

Some of the members!  Sister Dana=Pillar of light...

No comments: