Monday, March 10, 2014

Carnavál.... (letter from March 3rd)

I hate Carnavál.  It is not the party that everyone says it is.  No, that is a lie, it really is the party that everyone says it is.  Just not for missionaries.  Which stinks!  So we have been confined to our houses at 5pm, but that is ok because I have written a million letters and we have a great time making videos!  But other than that...yeah, not much has happened.

Well, except for the amazing 3 women that we have marked for baptism this week!  Yoná is a mom that the sisters have been teaching since November, and we had a killer lesson with her and the bishop this week where we marked her baptism for the 8th.  I was so so happy!  She was crying and said that she just knew that this was the answer to her prayers!  Unfortunately, she broke our hearts the next day by sending a text message saying that she wasn´t sure she was ready to make a big decision and wanted to cancel.  We got our booties over there asap to calm all of her fears, and by the time we left, she was happy as a clam again.  Sister Rodrigues is amazing at making people feel good.  She was able to show Yoná how this was such a happy thing!  I really admire my companion!

Paula is also marked for baptism on Saturday!  We had a lesson with her on Wednesday, and she didn´t say a thing about the baptism and neither did we, which had me worried.  But then we came back on Friday and she said that she was feeling a lot calmer about it and that she was ready!  She still has to talk to her husband about it though, so we will see if he messes with the Lord´s plans or not.  She is super ready though, not to mention beautiful.  Honestly, this woman looks like Pocahontas.  I feel super ugly every time she walks into the room...ah well.  It is all for the kingdom.

Lourdinha is the last one that we have marked.  She will really be a miracle.  She likes her café and is hard to find at home, so we will try to teach her as much as we can, given our time limits of the week.  She was at church though yesterday and loved it, so that was a really good sign!  Please pray that we can find her at home this week and help her feel comfortable with baptism!

Yesterday was an amazing sacrament meeting!  Really, it was one of the best of my mission.  Very few people were there because all the youth go to a camp during Carnavál, but the few that were there bore AWESOME testimonies...and every single one was about baptism and how they were so grateful for making that decision!  And all three of our ladies were there!!! After, Yoná came up to us and said that she was so grateful because Heavenly Father answered a ton of her prayers in that meeting.

Sister Rodrigues and I have been using our time at home to prepare for the STL stuff.  We have a schedule and everything of when we will do divisions to help the other sisters, and I am super excited!  I think that I am really going to like doing this.  It has been hard, because now there is a lot of pressure to be EXACTLY obedient.  The 10:30 bedtime rule has always been reallyyyyy hard for me.  But now we are keeping ALL the rules to the letter, and we are really seeing the blessings.  Hmm, Preach my Gospel is true...go figure.

Oh, one more thing.  So on Thursday night, they had a parade out here called "Noite das Trinchas"  which means that all the wives help their husbands dress up as women (SCANDALOUS women) and then they go out and dance around the street all night.  Then they drink and play soccer and drink some more.  We had the pleasure of watching the parade pass by our house.  Love you, Carnavál.

But anyway, the dedication sounds like it was awesome!  Oh I am so excited to go see that temple!  And calm down Mom, the Lord will bless the violins.  Stranger things have happened.  Congratulations to all of my pals going out on missions!  Seriously...it is the best thing in the world.  I was writing about that in my journal last night, just how blessed I really am to be doing this work, and I wouldn´t trade it for anything in the whole world!  During our zone meeting this week, Elder Woodland reminded us that this is the ONLY time in our lives that we will be able to say that we represent Jesus Christ.  That put a different spin on things in my mind.

Welp, love you lots.  Good luck to Cooper and his games!  Have a fabulous week!

Love,
Sister Dana

No comments: