This letter came via Snail Mail. She started it the first night at the MTC and finished and mailed it the next day. It came to us on Saturday March, 30th, 2013
Dear Family,
I made it through the first day!! No email til P-Day next Friday, so this letter will have to do!
Things are completely crazy here. There are so many people. It's great though, because I find a friend every time I turn a corner! I saw Sheri King, Ally Taylor, my pals from USU... it's great fun!
I love my companion! Her name is Sister Jordan Butler and she's from Georgia. She's 20 & went to BYUI before she came out. There are 4 other girls in our district and we get along so well. For now at least, but we are all very focused on learning Portuguese and how to teach, and so I think that if we keep that as our purpose always, we'll be just a dandy bunch!
Our room is small...and there are six of us. It's about twice the size of my dorm room at USU, with half the storage space. But my clothes fit quite neatly still!
When I got to our classroom the teacher spoke only Portuguese the whole time! I was able to understand quite a bit, but that's probably because it was super basic. Please pray for the gift of tongues for me! I want to learn this language so badly and I'm putting all my best efforts into it! It's definitely going to take more than my own strength though.
After class, we had an orientation thing and then went to dinner. The food here is atrocious. Hopefully the poundage will just melt away from my body. We then went to a Teaching experience, which was basically just a huge group role play. I'm learning that I am not as ready as I thought! It's hard to tell people about the gospel in a way that will be meaningful to them.
We went back to our classroom after the Teaching Experience and met our Zone Leaders. They're pretty cool and I'm excited to get to know them!
I was so tired when we came home! We finished unpacking and I was out! Also I didn't finish my letter last night, so it's Thursday btw. We've just had class and study and such all day. We have to teach a discussion to an investigator tomorrow...in Portuguese! So scary! I'll tell you how it goes!
Sister Butler & I just finished yoga in our room. Thank heavens I have p90x memorized!
Mom - will you please send my yellow fever card?? I have to have it or I can't go to Brazil!
I love you all so much and I know this church is true! How is Beth? I worry about her a lot. Write me back and read your scriptures!
Love,
Sister Dana