Monday, April 21, 2014

Feliz Pascoa!

Happy Easter!

Holy smokes, thank you so much for the pics and videos!  They are adorable and seriously just made my day!!  And it is reallyyyyy weird to see Cooper as like...a man... But anyway, thank you thank you thank you so much!!  

This week was really hectic, but really good.  We had a mission council on Tuesday, which means that all of the STL´s and ZL´s go over to Recife.  This means that we woke up at 4:30 to catch a bus over there to arrive by 9.  Then the bus got stuck in traffic for 2 hours. I was freaking out.  If you know me, you know how I get stressed about stuff like that!  But then we said a prayer and magically arrived at 9:05.  Look how I need to learn to trust Heavenly Father!  That guy knows what he is doing;  Anyway, the meeting was really good and we learned a lot about how to help out our areas more because our mission has been passing through a pretty "dry" season.  The assistents talked a lot about relating every single topic of the lesson to baptism so that people will know our purpose here.  Sister Rodrigues and I put it into practice this week and invited 19 people to be baptized!  Quite a few accepted...now we just have to get them married and away from the alcohol, which is the real trick.  But I know that the Lord will be helping us out soon.  We need it.

This week, we had a pretty funny story.  So Sister Rodrigues and I went over to a sister´s house to pick something up in the morning.  She lives pretty close by, so we didn´t take the phone or keys or anything because we thought it would be fast.  HA,  She decided to chat it up this time, which was fine because I love her and it was great!  Unfortunately, the other sisters went to lunch...and had locked the house by the time we got back.  So there we were.  Phoneless.  Keyless.  Sister Rodrigues literally freaked out.  She started laughing all high-pitched and was like, "Whatarewegoingtodo....ohmygoshwearenevergettinginside....howwillweeathhowwillweteach...WE ARE GOING TO DIE!"  Except it was all in Portuguese, so imagine that a million times faster.  Then I remembered that we can get in through the back, so we knocked on the neighbor´s door and went through their house to our back gate.  The back door was locked, but Sister Rodrigues was a woman with determination and didn´t think twice.  She busted open the shutters and literally launched herself into our kitchen.  Oh my goodness.  I couldn´t stop laughing!  I love my companion.  
Twas a rough night!

We had a really good night with Yoná too!  She made dinner for us this week, and she has the cutest kids in the world.  When we got there, her little son Felipe saw us all sitting down at the table, climbed on up in his chair, folded his arms and goes, "Pai Celestial..." and started saying a blessing!  Yoná started crying.  He is 2, and she had been so worried that he was growing up without God or knowing anything about the Gospel, and this was a direct answer to her prayers.  She called us again last night to tell us that he was asking when he could go to church and asking his dad to come to church with him too.  This is just so cool.  I love how the gospel effects everyone in the family, and that Yoná is receiving the blessings of her obedience.  Loveeee this family!

We planned our first Integration Night this week!  This does not mean that the Americans all hang out with the Brazilians, like I first thought.  That would be Integration Life.  Integration Night is when we put on an activity for all of our investigators to come meet the members and they all hang out together.  We had a great one!  Unfortunately...none of our investigators came.  BUT our recent converts did, so it wasn´t a total fail.  The members gave a really great message about baptism and related it to Easter, and then we played water balloon volleyball out on the basketball court outside.  So much fun!  We are trying to start up these things for every week to get the members more involved and excited.  Hopefully they´ll keep going!

This Easter weekend has been crazyyyy.  I have never eaten so much chocolate in my whole entire life.  And alllllll of Recife comes up to Gravatá for the weekend.  Don´t ask me why.  As far as I can see, there is literally nothing to do here, but the members tell me that everyone just comes to sleep.  Whatever floats your boat, Brazil.  So the city was full as heck!  But we had a great weekend too:)  Sister Fortes and Sister Bedke had their first baptism!  It was so sweet, and Sister Fortes was soooo happy.  She really deserves this, and I know that this will get her pumped to work even harder.

Maria's baptism!
Having fun after the baptism :)

I really thought a lot about the real meaning of Easter this week---about the Resurrection and what that all means to us.  We taught a family that lost their 5 year old son 5 months ago.  It is still very, very fresh.  We got to the house and the poor mom just broke down and had to leave the room.  As we taught the Plan of Salvation, I just felt the tears coming and it was a real testimony to me of the reality of our  message.  It isn´t just a pamphlet, or something that we memorize.  It is hope for this family that lost their child.  As I talked about Jesus Christ and the way he overcame death and sin, everyone in the room was just crying and this was the first time that it felt real.  I don´t quite know how to explain it, because this email isn´t doing it justice, but this week was one of my favorites of my mission.  It was so hard, but everything that is worth something takes work.

I love you guys so much, and I hope that you are still studying PMG!  Have a good week...Cooper...I really don´t have words still after watching that video, you beast of a child.  

Love,
Sister Dana

No comments: