Monday, May 13, 2013

Helloooo from Pittsburgh



Pittsburgh...yeah I was shocked too.  But hooray! Holy smokes, sooo much has happened! I'm not even sure where to start!

Ok so it was absolutely killer to say goodbye to my district at the MTC. Those missionaries have been my family for the past six weeks and now we are all splashed across the dadgum country! And you know me, I totally just cried my eyes out because missions make people emotional and ridiculous.  But I am so proud of them.  Those missionaries...they are strong.  They have incredible testimonies and have taught me so much.  I think about them often and I'm always grateful for their examples.  Meeting them and having the experiences I did in the MTC made me realize how important it is to trust in the Lord.  When I first found out that I wouldn't be going to the Sao Paulo MTC, it was very frustrating and disappointing.  I was ticked and had a bad attitude, hate to say.  But I got there and had the best experience and grew so much!  Now I wouldn't trade that for anything!  This is what made reassignment so much easier.  I figure that the Lord knew what He was doing sending me to Provo, and now He knows that I need to go to Pittsburgh!  So I will go! 

Before we left the MTC, the elders in our district gave everyone blessings.  In the blessing that he gave me, Elder Blanchard said that the Lord promised me people to teach in Pittsburgh.  That has stuck with me every single day.  It is my motivation to go out and work and find people!  You'd be amazed at the things that can happen if you just open your mouth!  I love love love street contacting and sitting by people on the bus and just making conversation wherever we go! This badge is like, some sort of license to give up all of your apprehension and doubts.  Oh it helps me so much!  I wish real life was like this!

Speaking of real life, I have to tell you about Pittsburgh!  It is big and dirty and beautiful.  There are people here from every background you can imagine, and they are very friendly and willing to talk with us, which is great!  I'm in a trio with Sister Romero, my trainer, and Sister Hill.  We get along just beautifully and have a lovely time together!  They are both excellent teacher and I learn as much as our investigators every time that we teach.  Sister Romero is very good at teaching with the Spirit and relying on the Spirit to know what we should do.  I'm learning what it feels like to receive promptings while teaching and in every single aspect of my life, and more importantly, how to rely on and follow those promptings.  It's incredible. 

We are teaching a lot of different people, but we're over a student singles ward, so we just lost tons and tons of our investigators for summer.  That was kinda disappointing, but now is the time to put that promise to the test!  If there are people here waiting for me, you'd better believe that I am going to find them!  I keep feeling like there's work to be done here, and if I can only just get it done, then the Lord will push my visa through and I'll earn Brazil.  That's probably not realistic, but it is motivation.  I want to go to Brazil so badly...thanks for the visa prayers, please keep them coming!

Anyway, the people we teach!  Lots of less-actives, few investigators. It's difficult to teach less active people, because they all know the doctrine already.  I am not as patient as I should be, I'm afraid.  There's one that we teach who is an RM, and he's a great guy, but I just get so frustrated because he knows everything we say already and he has a testimony of it, he just doesn't do it!  What the heck, ya punk!  But he's wonderful and making a lot of progress and I am very glad of that:) 

We teach a lot of people with very difficult pasts.  One girl that we met yesterday was seriously abused a long time ago and is still suffering from the effects of it every day.  It breaks my heart.  She has scars and slash marks all up her arms and is emotionally scarred as well.  I don't feel equipped to teach her.  But I know that we can somehow, because I'm not the teacher anyway.  That's what the Holy Ghost is for.

The members here are awesome.  They take us out for dinner and make sure that we are treated well.  Mike, the assistant ward mission leader, was an absolute angel yesterday and made us this fabulous dinner at his house and let us use his computer to Skype home!  He will get many blessings, because I put in a good word to the Man Upstairs, and missionary prayers are highly effective;)

Wasn't it so great to Skype!? I was so happy to see you all!  Mom, your hair looks cute!  It was just wonderful to see you all again...gosh, it really doesn't feel like I've been gone that long though! 

I love being here in Pittsburgh.  I love being a missionary- it has been the best decision I ever made.  Eu sei que esta igreja e verdadeiro.  Eu sei que o Evangelhio da nos muitos felizidades. Eu sei que meu Portugues e MUITO mal...tento!  Descupa! 

Eu voces amo--Have a great week!

Love,

Sister Dana
 
Here are her last MTC pics

Fun on p-day
Sister Butler p-day

I miss our international friends!

With Irmao Cannon
Sister Dana does NOT enjoy grammar.


Lovely Sisters!

Our Elders at the MTC

Our district with Irmao Perkes

Nos districto


With Presidetn Nielson, our MTC branch pres, and his wife


Sister Butler and I be lookin fiine


We are prepared for Brazil

Beautiful Pittsburgh houses

 
Another Beautiful Pittsburgh house

Sister Romero (trainer) Sister Missionaries get TIRED




1st Area bedroom


Sister Dana's desk

Sister Hill (other companion) in the apartment 

Little tiny kitchen

I think Shelby is getting frustrated about the Visa situation - she's looking into an attorney


A street view of a Pittsburgh cathedral